Flovent Generic Descriptions
Flovent HFA Aerosol inhaler, a particular man made steroid related Glucocorticoid family which is Fluticasone is also related to naturally occuring hormones produced in adrenal glands e.g. steroid hormone cortisol. Glucocorticoid steroids have potent anti- inflammatory actions. When used as an inhaler Fluticasone propionate goes directly to the airways of the lung.
People suffering with asthma face the suppression of inflammation in airways decreases the spasm that narrows the airways and makes the passage of air from in and out of lungs difficult. When used in lower doses very little Fluticasone propionate is absorbed into the body. When it is used in higher doses Fluticasone is absorbed and may result in side effects elsewhere inside the body.
However, before taking Fluticasone i.e. Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication, ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s information for the patient and read it carefully. Talk to your doctor about all the possible risks of taking Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication. However, Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide. Hence, for more information, consult your doctor and your medical pharmacist.
How To Use Flovent Generic
Follow the directions given by the doctor exactly for the usage of the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone medication and also read the prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand.
Doses For Flovent HFA Aerosol
Doses vary from patient to patient but recommendations for inhalation are similar for most corticosteroids including Fluticasone propionate. The canister containing the Fluticasone propionate should be shaken well before administering. The lungs are emptied of air by breathing out completely. The mouthpiece is placed between the open lips and the lips are closed firmly around the mouthpiece. The canisters actuating valve is depressed one time while breathing in deeply and slowly. The breath is held for a count of 10 and then normal breathing is resumed. If more than a single inhalation is prescribed a minute should pass between inhalations.
A tube acts as a spacer which can be attached to the canister may be helpful for persons who are unable to co-ordinate breathing in and pressing down on the canisters valve. Following administration the mouth should be rinsed thoroughly with water or mouthwash which is then spit out to minimize dry mouth irritation of the throat and hoarseness. The inhaler must be cleaned frequently by removing the canister and cap from the inhaler and then rinsing the inhaler with warm water and drying it.
If a bronchodilator aerosol spray a spray that causes the airways to expand for example Albuterol Proventil Ventolin is used it should be used first and then 5 – 15 minutes later the Fluticasone propionate should be used.
If you wish to use the medication for your children, please contact your pediatrician for the dosage.
Flovent Generic HFA Aerosol Side Effects
If you notice any of the symptoms, which seem severe or persistent to you, please contact your doctor immediately. However, your doctor may need to monitor you carefully for side effects and alter the doses if necessary.
The most commonly noted side effects of Flovent HFA Aerosol or Fluticasone propionate are mild cough or wheezing these effects may be minimized by using a bronchodilator inhaler e.g. Albuterol or Ventolin first. Oral candidiasis or thrush a fungal infection may occur in between 1 in 50 and 1 in 20 persons who use Fluticasone propionate without a spacer the risk being higher with higher doses. The risk for candidiasis in children is lower than in adults. Using a spacer and washing the mouth out with water following each use reduces the risk of candidiasis. Hoarseness may also occur and here also a spacer and washing the mouth out with water following each use reduces the risk.
High doses of inhaled Glucocorticoid may decrease formation and increase break-down of bone thereby weakening bones and promoting fractures. Still higher doses may cause suppression of the body’s ability to make its own natural Glucocorticoid in the adrenal gland. It is possible that these effects are shared by higher-dose Fluticasone propionate. People with suppression of their adrenal glands which can be diagnosed by a doctor would need increased amounts of Glucocorticoids probably by the oral or intravenous route during periods of high physical stress when Glucocorticoids are particularly important.
Inform your doctor if you experience any of these side effects or some new side effects occur which appear too bothersome to you.
Flovent Generic HFA Aerosol Interaction
Inform your doctor if you are allergic to the formulation of this medication or any other medication in any other form and also inform your doctor about any other medication you may be taking in any other form, as they may affect the way your medicine works.
However Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone can interact with, Ketoconazole Ritonavir etc.
Moreover, Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone may also interact with some kind of foods, varied medications, herbal products, nutritional supplements, vitamins, other OTC medicines etc. Acquire more information about the interactions of the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication from your doctor and the medical pharmacists.
Flovent Generic Overdose
In case of overdose call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
If the suffering patient has collapsed or is not breathing call local emergency services at 911. Canadian residents should call their local poison control center directly.
Flovent Generic Notes
Do not allow any other person to use your medication without getting doctor’s prescription themselves and also avoid using this medicine for other health conditions on your own. Keep the medicine away from the children and pets.
Also inform your doctor, if you are pregnant or are breast feeding. If you conceive during the course, inform your doctor immediately. Do not share your medicines with anyone, even if they have the same symptoms, for it may harm them. Do not begin, increase, decrease, or stop using this medicine on your own.
Remember, it is very important to keep regular appointments with your doctor to study the way your body is responding to the course. And if you are going to have a surgery, tell your health care professional that you are taking Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication.
If you are using the aerosol, you should:
- Clean your inhaler at least once a day.
- Remove the metal canister and rinse the case and cap in warm running water.
- Dry thoroughly and replace the canister and cap.
- If you wish to use the medicine in children, please contact your pediatrician for sure before its use.
Flovent Generic Missed Dose
If you missed the dose, do take the medicine immediately provided that there is ample of time in between the next dose. However, whether it is nearly time for the following dose skip the missed dose and proceed your common dosing schedule. Never double your doses to cope up with the missed. And in case, if you miss your one or two consecutive doses consult to your doctor or physician for guidance and continue further.
Flovent Generic HFA Aerosol Uses
The generic Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone propionate medication is used for the control of asthma in persons requiring continuous treatment. Such patients may include those with frequent asthmatic episodes requiring medications to dilate expand airways or those with asthmatic episodes at night.
However, it may also be used to treat some other medical conditions which may be determined by your doctor accordingly and consult a pediatrician for the use of this medication in children.
Flovent HFA Aerosol Other Uses
The generic Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone medication may be prescribed for other uses also, so ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information about the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone medication.
Flovent Generic Storage
- Generic Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone propionate should be stored at room temperature 4-30°C and 39-86°F in a cool and dry place.
- Keep the medicine in the container, it came in and always keep it tightly closed.
- Check Expiry date without fail. Keep all medicines away from women, newborns, children and pets.
- Do not freeze in any case.
- Also, keep it away from heat, dampness and direct light. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down.
- When the medicine is not in use or outdated it should be discarded.
- Take help of your pharmacist in disposing this medicine properly. In any case, do not store the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler tablets in the bathroom.
Flovent HFA Aerosol Generic Precaution
Following precautions must be taken during consuming generic Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone:
- Inform your doctor if you have or have ever had: kidney disease, lung disease, liver disease, heart disease, diabetes, low or high blood pressure, heart attacks or strokes or any other severe disease etc. Also inform if you had suffered from any kind of infection, especially fungal. Also inform, if you drink alcoholic beverages or smoke.
- Also acknowledge your doctor if you need to undergo any kind of surgery, including dental surgery or need an x-ray procedure that uses contrast agents. So, inform your doctors immediately about it, so that the doctor can decide whether to continue taking Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication or stop it during the surgery.
- Let the doctor also know, if you are in-taking or are planning to take any prescribed or non prescribed medicines, health supplements or any other OTC medications, vitamins etc. Be sure to mention any of the following: cyclosporine i.e. Neoral, Sandimmune, and digoxin i.e. Lanoxin and ketoconazole i.e. Nizoral. This is because, your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- Do not use the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler i.e. Fluticasone medication, if you have any kind of allergy to it or to any ingredients of it and tell your doctor or pharmacist about the allergy and get treated. Also inform if you are allergic to Fluticasone, lansoprazole i.e. Prevacid, omeprazole i.e. Prilosec, pantoprazole i.e. Protonix, or any other medications.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding before taking Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medication. Hence also, inform your doctor immediately when you plan to conceive, or become pregnant during the course as this drug should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Do not share the drug with others unless they are prescribed by the doctor themselves. And if your symptoms of side effects do not improve in few weeks or if they become worse and bothersome, check these conditions immediately with your doctor.
- Please, use the Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler medicine in the prescribed amount and do not overdose it or use it for the longer period of time. Do not discontinue on your own and consult your doctor before doing so to avoid further problems.
- Regularly, keep your appointments with your doctor and keep an eye on the progress or side effects that has been noticed during the complete course. Also, carry an identification card mentioning your condition, the medicine you take, the dosage and your health care professionals details.9. Also, avoid alcohol and alcohol containing beverages during the complete.
10. For more information, contact your doctor and your pharmacists and also discuss the risks and benefits of the generic Flovent HFA Aerosol Inhaler.